Friday, November 24, 2017

Sanding, Sanding, Sanding......and a Distraction

  The wooden chest is hauled from the garage to the basement and set up on my low saw benches for the next stage. That of sanding, sanding,sanding.  The paint was mostly burned off with the torch.  


  The orbital sander took care of much of the remaining paint and scorch marks.


  I decided to keep the molding intact, that means hand sanding  the trim as well as all the edges,   60 Grit paper cuts through the paint fairly easily.  After all the paint is sanded away I will have to re-sand the box with 120 and 180 grit before using shellac to seal the wood.

  Since there remains a couple of hours of hand sanding and finishing ahead of me. While I am working I like to listen to music and the tablet provides me with tunes.  I decided my tablet needed a stand to keep it handy. 



  I saw the idea on Pinterest and chose to use a piece of leather for the hinge.  The whole project took only a few minutes. I used contact cement to attach the leather to the wooden forms.  

  It was a quick little project that was a nice distraction from sanding.  I have spent enough time hand sanding that my fingers are weary.  I will paint the stand later.

cheers, ianw

  


No comments:

Post a Comment