Thursday, September 28, 2017

Telephone Speaker and Bee House.

  Last week I glued and clamped the phone speaker made from nicer wood together.  This small speaker seems to double the volume output of my phone speaker.  This wooden speaker also holds the phone firmly, so it can sit anywhere.


    Inside the box I placed two small dowels to keep the phone from choking the sound waves and reducing the sound.

I painted the inside black for aesthetic reasons. 

  Next job is to make an equivalent speaker for my tablet. 

  Yesterday's project was a bee hotel for our back yard.  It is firmly believed by experts that bee houses/hotels are good for solitary bees, and all bees are good for our gardens.

5 by 16 by 5 inches,
 that is a whole bunch of plant stems.

  I used part of a bundle of the pallet lumber I collected during the summer and nailed it together.  Along time ago I was taught to pre-drill holes when nailing thin stock or nailing into an edge.  I adds a bit of time but....nothing splits and the thinner nails don't wander or bend.

    I don't have bamboo available so I used stems from plants from our back yard garden.  There are spaces of random size for the bees to crawl into for protection. 


  As I gathered more information about bee houses I found that some builders cover the outside to protect the bees from predators.  I opted for a louvred front, there is plenty of room for bees to get in but it should be almost impossible for a bird to snack on the bees.  
The house is in an out of the way corner of the garden. The bees should be able to live undisturbed and I hope happily.




No comments:

Post a Comment