Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Clamps and Glue

 I continue to be amazed at that you can make with glue and clamps.  I am building another side table, again without fasteners and currently have the beginnings of a music stand drying.

  Last evening I glued a small lip onto the ledge. This afternoon I sanded that joint and then I glued the ledge to the back of the music stand.  All that remains is to leave it until it is properly dry and then sand and finish.  Ratcheting or Quick Clamps are perfect for this type of task.  As you can see I have three different clamps in use.  I often pick up a clamp or two at a wood show, somebody always has something on sale.  Don't buy cheap, 'no-name' clamps, they are not worth the money.  The clamp in the middle of the project is 35 years old and works as well as the day it was purchased.  

  The  other thing that is clamped and drying is a prototype acoustic amplifier for my phone. 



  Every time I change technology I need to make a new speaker.  It is worth noting that each device's speakers are placed differently.  I like the compact size and shape of this design but decided to make a rough prototype before using good materials.  Part of what I wanted to see was how small the speaker could be and not fall over.  The tablet stand I made a while ago was not prototyped and is not a stable enough to hold the tablet vertically. I like to believe that I can learn from my mistakes.  


  This speaker stand is stable while improving and increasing the volume of my phone. I will next make a prettier version with nice wood, careful joinery and then finish it  with shellac. If you are thinking of something like this there are many possible designs for phone acoustic speakers  if you can draw your own plans after seeing a photograph.  I begin with an internet photograph and fitted the design  to my phone.   

  I am not a slave to my phone.  In fact it sits on my desk unused for days at a time, that's why I decided to turn it into a radio.



  




No comments:

Post a Comment