Monday, October 2, 2017

Fish and Flowers

This past weekend was the Woodstock Wood  Show.  For several years I worked as a presenter at the show but for the last few I've been a customer.  Interestingly, I never got to see the wood shows very well when I was working at them. 

  Last Saturday I wandered around, visited old friends, spent some money and drank some coffee. There are always new innovations, tools and companies,  but what I enjoy most is the wood carving.

  The following are photos for my fishing Grand daughter in Sweden.  She won't believe these are wooden fish.



Those award winning carvings blow my mind.  The fishes look more like real fish than, real fish do.  I am filled with respect and admiration for the artists that made them.



  This fish is a bit more rough and ready.  This is a fish carved by chainsaw. I watched this chap work for a while, it was great.  His carvings are large and more impressionistic. 

 On another track entirely I have a photo of my oldest grand daughter's recent crafting effort.


  If the child is too small, or too cautions to work with you in your wood shop, encourage them to make things none the less.  Clara used foam and pipe cleaners this time.  I think that one day she will be ready for a scroll saw, her brother is comfortable using the band saw already.   
  Sometimes we forget that people grow by baby steps and miss our chance to promote making things by waiting until it is too late.  The fellows that carved and painted those amazing fishes started out as beginners creating crafts, the art comes later.

  cheers Ianw


No comments:

Post a Comment