Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Tuesday August 15th 2017


  First of all, here is David's table complete and on the deck.  The dark stain he used gives the project a good looking finish. It remains to be seen how well the finish stands up to the
elements. 
  My Grandson is here for a couple of days and so we are working on a couple of projects
with him, needless to say one of them is a boat.


  This is K's latest boat from Opa's shop.  It is sort of a fishing trawler from a book he brought with him on this trip.  This time the boat floats with pretty good trim.  To get the boat to float we had to shape the boat as well as cut away wood from the inside of the hull. K used the drill press to clear out most of the material and sanded the rest.  He also worked on shaping the hull with a drill press mounted drum sander.  Over the years he and I have made many boats, and each time the form of the boat gets more important and the quality of finish needs to be better.  If we made ten or twelve boats a year instead of three or four he would be an his way to being Canadian's Youngest Marine Architect, who would be the proudest Opa then...!





  While K is working on his own projects I usually have something small going on around him. As he worked on his boat I cut out a couple of rough spoon shapes for me to work on later. 

  

  While the boat was being built I whipped up a BBQ grill cleaning paddle for Kieran's family's BBQ.  I cut it out on the band saw and shaped the edges with a round over bit on my router table.


  Today's big project was a Republican Attack Shuttle. 

  This isn't a workshop project, it is a Revell snap together model.  K loves Star Wars stuff. It is his generation I guess.  After reading the instructions and only calling on adult help three times the shuttle was complete.  I was very impressed with his patience and careful work. It isn't wood work but all building is a useful learning experience. 
  




  

No comments:

Post a Comment