Monday, July 10, 2017

Pochade Box Complete

Yesterday I cut the Pochade box in two on my table saw, and then cut it down slightly since I didn't need the total depth of the 2 x 4.


  The box is filled with the things I use for water colour painting. I have both transparent and opaque paint as well as Derwent Inktense Blocks. I used double sided tape to stick some bubble wrap down to keep the bottles from crashing around. The dividers are glued and pin nailed in place and won't be difficult to remove it the design needs changing. The angle of the photo effects perspective, the dividers are in the box square even though it doesn't look like it.

  I used 1/4 in Baltic birch for the top and door skin for the bottom.  The sides and dividers are re-sawn 2 x 4. Once the wood was planed and sanded it was perfectly adequate for this project.  There are a couple of knot holes that I could fill, but I don't see the need.

 To attach the lid I opted for two latches and a couple of alignment dowels.  I figured a lid that came off rather than hinged would serve my use better.  I paint water colours on a flat board so there is no purpose to having lid hinged acting as an easel.


   In this photo you can see the latch and two of the alignment pins. I used my self centring dowel jig to place and drill for the dowel pins.

 BlackJack, 16227 Dowel Jig Self Centering 14574

  This jig is another of those tools that I use once in a blue moon, but am really pleased to have available when the time comes.  By pushing it tightly into the corner the dowel pins aligned quickly and easily.  Between the dowel pins and the two clasps the lid is perfectly secure.  


  The latches were in a junk drawer, I'd saved them from somewhere and I honestly have no idea where. Having collected all these things over time means that this project cost almost nothing to make.



  There is space in the lid half for a small drawing board and several pieces of 8 x 10 water colour paper. 

  Once the box was complete I sanded it with 120 grit paper and used a block plane to break some of the shape edges.  On the cheap again I used a Danish Oil finish, walnut colour from a tin that I bought at the Re-Store years and years ago.  The Danish oil takes a long time to dry, I supposed that is why it was on clearance.  Everyone wants their finish to dry instantly, or faster.  My pochade box can sit in the garage and dry for a day or two, no sweat for me.


  I haven't decided what to do for a carrying strap, or handle yet.  I think for a while I will just carry it under my arm or in a bag to see how it works out.  A while ago I made a brief case  sized box to carry oil paints. and canvases and it was/is useful but big. This paint box is light and more portable and I am looking forward to using it for a long time.

 cheers, ianw 





No comments:

Post a Comment