Friday, July 14, 2017

Fifteen


  Yesterday was our fifteenth wedding anniversary.  Eva gave me a cool card, treats and some interesting beers. ( thank you Sweetie)  I gave her chocolates, a glass pitcher for summer drinks and a maple 15. I'm not much for cards.

 The 15 is nothing clever but...the vise I used to finish the 15 is.


  This vise is my DIY version of a  Moxon Vise.  My vise is strong and flexible and can be mounted almost any where using a variety of clamps



 Because of the design I could slide the "15" down in the jaws and have it supported while I filed the saw makes away.


   The other bonus is I mounted the vise on my stand up bench section so that I was working at chest level while filing, not hunched over.  My back troubles me less when I stand up and sit up straight.


  That is the assortment of rasps and files I used to remove the saw marks and smooth the wood.  One of maple's great virtues is that it will finish as smooth as glass if you take the time.

  As a foot note:  here is the Wedding Guest Board that I made a couple of weeks ago.


  I hope they still have it 15 years from now.

cheers, ianw





No comments:

Post a Comment