Friday, January 18, 2013

Center Finding Jig

   Often when we make a jig for our shop it is a fairly large item, used for large scale projects.  Recently I have been doing more wood carving, for me these are small projects, I know that some folks do huge chainsaw carvings and life sized statues, but my stuff is small.

sometimes very small
  One of the things that you should do when carving is mark the center of your block of wood, marking it helps you keep your  carving from getting lop sided as you cut away the bulk of the wood before you get into the details.  That center mark also makes it easy to drill a hole in the project to mount it on a base.  In fact some carvers drill a hole in the center and insert a dowel right at the start to use as a handle when carving and painting. 
  (a good idea that I plan to adopt in the future) 

    We all know the easy way to find the center of a square or rectangular wood block but getting the center of a round, or mostly round piece can be a bit trickier. Crossed lines and compasses can be used but a center finding jig is easier.

  This jig is about 3" by 4" and made from the scrap box, the 45 degree pieces are 2 by 4 and the upright is elm.  I made this small jig because I want it to live in the drawer with my carving tools and bits of wood, and not take up too much space.  A large sized jig that would accommodate big pieces for lathe work would take up space in the shop and would not get used often enough to be worth the space.  Should the time come when I am looking for the center point of pieces that are 5 inches in diameter, I'll make a larger jig.


  The dowel/piece lays in nicely and the line marks the end accurately.   This photo make it look slightly out of alignment but I've used it and it works.  The next time I have paint out for a project I will paint it a bright, obvious colour so that it is easy to find in the clutter that seems always to be my work space.

  This is another example of the K.I.S.S. philosophy.  Those of you, like me with impressionable grand children call the system Keep It Simple, Silly.

   Another footnote:  check out the DVD clearance at thetoolstore.ca . A good movie is always a nice way to spend a cold winter evening.   

  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment