Monday, May 21, 2012

Summer Slam,door that is.

two very good reasons to do the things I do.
  Those of you that have been looking in on this blog for a while know that I have Grandson, Kieran and a Granddaughter, Clara.  Kieran is a going concern and Clara is just starting to walk.  It is fun and wondrous to watch them develop, as well as observers, our job as their  big people is to see that their passage though life is as safe and joyful as we can make it. 
  
 Our house is pretty good. I made gates to block the stairways and we've moved the breakables to adult heights. One thing that we'd not done last year was deal with the slamming outside doors.   In our place if the patio door is open there is a wind tunnel effect that makes the garage door slam heavily.  
  
  That slamming created two worries for me this season,
one: the door knob is at Grand kid head height and I really don't want them knocked on their butts on my watch,
two, that door slams hard enough to really hurt a little person's hand.  Last year K and C weren't independent enough to open the garage door, this year, I think K will be ready to explore and open more doors by himself.  


   I went in search of a safe solution
metal clad, foam core door, pretty heavy by itself, a crusher when blown by
the south to north winds we experience.
Ideal Storm Door Slammer, actually anti-slammer, my solution.

  It took a bit of adjusting (if you look closely I didn't drill the   one set of holes in the right place the first time) but now the door does not slam shut, little fingers will be safe. And I hated it when the door slammed shut with a mighty crash, it shook  the whole place. (besides a slamming door is just an unfriendly sound)  So this D.I.Y job paid double dividends.

No comments:

Post a Comment