Friday, August 12, 2011

Opa Fix?!

If you are a regular reader you will recognize that headline.  That is Kieran's question/statement anytime anything is broken or not working.  He believes that Opa can fix anything, little does he know.
Anyway, Opa likes fixing things.  I suspect that repairing and problem solving lured many of us into woodworking in the first place.

broken umbrella handle from my step daughter, Kieran's Mom

the replaced handle on the umbrella. hand turned oak, waxed and sealed.
     I like to use my wood lathe, but don't get much chance lately so turning the handle was great fun.  I turned the handle and finished it and then drilled it on my drill press.  The hole that was needed was a large enough hole that I had to use a Forstner bit, it was a bit stressful but it turned out OK.  Another time I would drill the hole for the handle when the wood block was still in the square and the plug the hole to mount the piece on the lathe.  After I had completed the piece it would be much easier to drill out a softwood plug than drill the necessary hole.
    
  

1 comment:

  1. Opa? That's German for Grandpa, i never knew that people in the English speaking territories adopted it. The handle also looks very comfortable; hardly anything is nicer to the touch than wood. I wish i had a lathe those things seem like fun. :D

    ReplyDelete