Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A favourite woodworking project Revisited

Crib that I made just over two years ago.
    This is the crib that I made for my Grandson's room two and a bit years ago.  Yesterday instead of writing my customary Monday blog I went to the kids house and put the crib back together, a new baby is due any day now.  I built the crib from poplar and remain very pleased at the colour variation that the wood provides. Poplar was also quite good to work, it is a hard softwood and generally straight grained.


wood so green that it is black.
    I can see why makers of fine furniture would shy away from poplar because of the colour variation but for us, it adds personality.

    Instead of making a side that adjusts I went with a design where the mattress platform is raised at first and then has legs cut off to lower the mattress down as the baby gets bigger.

   Aside from the excitement of being blindingly proud of another Grand Baby I also had my favourite helper while doing the re-assembly.


     I held the drill and Kieran pushed the button and made the drill go, green light-go, red light-stop.  He was excited to be helping get things ready for the baby too.




No comments:

Post a Comment