Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Tea Box- Mitre Glueing

  I was puttering around in my shop the other day.  The weather has been unpredictable and there isn't really a big project on the horizon, until March or April.  So what did I do?  I did what I have done thousands of times before.  I made a box. Making boxes is a foundational skill in wood working, and that skill does not develop without practise. 

 I didn't have a  specific need in mind but there is always a use for a  tea box. It could also store coffee, cookies, or candy.


   I have collected bits of skid wood over the last couple of years and  I selected a non-descript board for this project.  Since the box was to have mitred corners I trimmed both edges of the board on the table saw with the blade tilted to 45 degrees.  My table saw is a contractor's saw, it has served me well for over 20 years and with care it will still cut accurate angles. 
  
  Once I had all the wood prepped for the sides, I used the tape and glue method for putting the box together.  I cut a bottom piece and glued it in to close the one end, then tried to figure out a lid. This works but doesn't look good, it is  top heavy and awkward.  I have since had another idea  and I will try it one of these days.

  

  For the time being I just trimmed the lid and rounded its corners.  The interesting bit of the project is the finishing.  I traced the letters onto the wood after sanding it very smooth.  When wood burning, the wood needs to be very, very smooth. 400 grit or better.  After burning the letters in I lightly tinted them with red dye. 

  After the dye was totally dry, I lightly stained the box and gave it two coats of spray varnish to protect it from finger marks.

  It is nice to have a shop in which to putter.


cheers ianw
  



No comments:

Post a Comment