Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Bunny Sized Cello

  My grand daughter began playing cello at school last September, and has made wonderful progress.  In just a few short months she is playing recognizable little tunes and seems to be enjoying her experience.  She also has a favourite stuffed toy that travels with her all the time.  The bunnie was her mother's in fact, and so is wise and well-travelled.

  As an Opa, I am sometimes inclined to flights of fancy for the grandkids. This time:


a bunny sized cello complete with bow.

  It turned out to be a bigger project than I originally thought.  I though I would go into the shop one evening and emerge shortly with a cello.  There turned out to be more shaping, sanding, gluing and staining than I had accounted for.




  I only had a plan in my head for this cello. I had never made one before so I cut out the body from soft wood and the neck from hard wood following a general idea more than a plan.  Initially I thought of making the cello hollow but decided not to make my life that complicated. This bunny sized cello is a toy, not a replica or model. 



  Before I glued the neck on I carved 'F' holes in the body and used dark stain to make then look more realistic.  I also cut slots into the head stock and made a bridge for the strings.


  Poor planning meant there was only room for three stings instead of four and the tuning pegs are pretty ugly, and don't work.  The bow has stretched string instead of horse hair. The pin on the bottom is a long bolt and the strings are stretchy string and the bridge is glued in place.  Not very cello like but it is for a bunny.

  It seemed to be well recieved by  Grand daughter and her bunny so it was worth it totally. 

cheers ianw











 

No comments:

Post a Comment