Friday, November 4, 2022

Getting Ready for Christmas

   As a general rule I don't endorse or promote products.  I usually say what I have to work with and sometimes share links to the tools used on TheToolStore.ca website. In this case I was sent Wood Maxx screws to try out since I use lots of self taping screws in my shop projects. Usually I drill  a pilot hole even when using self taping screws.  Anyway, I set out to do a project that would require a bunch of screws to check out this new to me product. 

note: No pilot holes were used in the course of this project.


Recycling, reusing and crafting are all the rage currently and I love to reuse skid wood. Usually a project using purposed wood adds extra steps and effort.  Not this time. The rustic nature of the wood was a bonus rather than a liability.



I  gathered together a few mixed boards from my skid wood stash, laid them out on my work table and set to work.  I gave all the boards a basic sand to 120 grit, making sure that all the nails were removed of course.  Since then will probably be moved about several times being decorated etc, I sanded all the edges to reduce the possibility of splinters. 


  This is one of two trees destined to adorn the entrance to our home this coming holiday season. I screwed the two trees together with the Wood Maxx screws, quickly and easily.  I liked the screws better than drywall screws both because they are #2 Robertson ( square ) drive and as #8 a better screw for this job.

  After I screwed the trees together I gave them two heavy coats of deck sealer so they will endure for a couple of seasons at least.  Now, we are thinking about  the nature of the decorations.  The plan is for the  trees to feature all natural ornamentation, we will have to see how the plan works out. 

  This is another rustic project that can be made with found wood, a couple of tools and almost no experience. Go For It.

cheers ianw




No comments:

Post a Comment