Wednesday, August 11, 2021

What takes time in the Shop

 First thing to remember, it is summer and summer is about being outside.  This is motorcycle and bicycle riding weather and so the shop is of secondary interest.  As my wife noted last evening however I do like to putter around in my shop.

 So, what am I puttering at? I have three/four sort of on going projects currently.  One is trying to save chairs from the church's Sunday School room.  


  These plastic chairs crack over time from being bent back so much. As you can see this one has been glued, unsuccessfully.


  I am going to try a combination of glue and re-enforcing wood.  I hope the wood will reduce the flex and get a season or two out of the chairs, before they go to hand fill.  Clamping was a challenge since none of the surfaces are flat.  Anyway, that is why you always need more clamps. If this works it will save our church a few bucks, since there are many of these chairs that need to be fixed or replaced.

  Another thing I am working on is another box top.  This one features an oak lid that was a glue up of off cuts.  After the lid was glued and squared I hand cut the rabbets.

  Hand cutting rabbets uses a bunch of tools.  I made the original marking/layout with my marking gauge.  It is easier with a marking gauge than with a ruler and pencil. I then cut the rabbets with a small cross cut and rip set saw and cleaned the cuts up with my 1/2 inch rabbet plane. The rabbets could have been cut on the table saw or router table, I just felt like a quiet time.


  I am working on a carved top with an inset knob to complete the lid.  I don't have a use for the box right now, but....it at least has a lid.  I think I have finished all the box that were setting on the shelf at the back.

  Also:


I was given a really good book of children's wooden toys a few years ago and finally am getting around to using it, thanks Rich and Jenn.  I am making a rolling hippo whose jaws opens and closes as it rolls.  



  These are most of the parts, the sides of the hippo's jaw remains and I need to buy (or make) so 3/8 dowel for axles etc. 

  I am not seriously applying myself in the shop currently but fiddling with one thing or another helps fill my days.  It would have been an especially tough year without the available distractions of wood working and water colour painting.  
 

cheers ianw











No comments:

Post a Comment