Saturday, August 28, 2021

Found Wood

 Yesterday a neighbour threw out wood left from repairing their deck.  I can't pass up free wood.  This heavily weathered wood will be used for flower boxes and other rustic projects.

  


  A collection of cedar boards  with some rotten sections. Happily all the nails had been removed, my guess is the deck was screwed together.


three bundles,
 cleaned out and ready to be stored until....

 Three bundles of wood secured with string made from soda bottles.  I tie the string and then heat it with my heat gun which shrinks the plastic  and tightens the knots.

  I brought the wood to my shop and with my sliding mitre saw cut off the rotten ends.  In truth I didn't have to cut off much. To use the wood the edges of the boards will need to be planed or trimmed on the table saw, but I will leave that part of the process until an actual project. 

  By the time I was done I had 18, 1x6 boards, between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 feet long. That will make several projects for the back yard, and all for free.

  Today was the first cool ish day in a while and so I was over come with ambition.  I cleaned and organised the garage this morning, before the heat rose to roasting.  That was one of the jobs on my "To Do" list, one down ??? more to go.

cheers, ianw


No comments:

Post a Comment