Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Shop Knives -Pt. One- Apron and Utility Knives

   I could easily do a 12 knives of Christmas series of blogs.  May 2017 featured a photo of my pocket knife collection (http://blogthetoolstore.blogspot.com/2017/05/folding-andor-pocket-knives.html)  At times I have also talked about various shop knives, which are also many.  Shop knives often serve for me the purpose other woodworkers assign to chisels.  Even when I am wood carving, I am much more likely to reach for a knife than a chisel.



   These are my apron knives.  You can see a lanyard attached to each knife that is tied to a shop apron, usually. Often I have a folding knife in my pocket but these two knives are not only very sharp, the blades are extra robust so can stand up to prying and twisting that a typical pocket knife may not survive.  I do not abuse my tools, but they are worked hard.  Both of these knives have blades that can be resharpened without to much trouble and so far neither is chipped from hard use. 
  
  The top knife is a Japanese style knife which I find quite versatile for marking as well as making fine adjustments when working small projects. 

  The bottom knife is ???? but really heavy duty.  I think it's proper use is as an electrician's wire stripper knife, I don't do that but It is also good for splitting off bits when getting ready to turn something on the lathe.  The spine of these knives will withstand being struck with a mallet.

 I have a 600 grit ceramic stone and a strop close at hand and so regularly touch up these blades. Commonly when I  stop to rest, drink coffee or make a plan I will pick up  a sharpening stone or strop and give an edge tool some attention.  For me dealing with edge tools a little bit at a time is less tiresome than spending all afternoon sharpening everything.  Also it means almost never reaching for an edge tool: plane, knife or chisel that is not ready for use.

  


  These are the knives that take the most abuse.  I use these to cut plastic, dry wall, foam core, card board, insulation and all the other stuff that is just brutal on a real knife. These are also the blade that digs out dried paint and muck from screw heads.  I like the heavier handles of these knives vs. the sliding blade type of knife.  The replaceable  blades can also be touched up a bit on the ceramic stone though it usually isn't worth the effort.  I have two because, if I only had one I would spend too much time looking for it.  These knives have a place in my tool cabinet but seem to prefer laying out on the bench.   

  The lost couple of project have been knocking Christmas decorations into shape so they can be put out for the season.  After  hours of fun I think we have the light situation in hand and today we had to shovel snow for the first time.  The winter season has arrived. sigh.

cheers, ianw



  

     

  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment