Friday, November 8, 2019

November 8th 2019 - noses

  I am working on a box and finishing some spoons and working on hand carved noses.


  Last winter our brother in law made snow men from off cut rounds of ash.  We named our snow man Tromso after the city in Norway.



  As you can see he is a noble fellow but...was lacking in the nose department. Et voila.


  He is laying in the shop as his nose dries, also he needs some work on his lower back, to help him hold it together.  The other nose is for his brother Bodo  that lives with my Mother.  I will make the custom installation next week.  By the way, both Bodo and Tromso are interesting cities to visit. Isn't Norway on everyone's bucket list?

 
the natural use for spring clamps

 Yet another box.  This one is made from some sort of exotic pallet wood.  It looks as though it is related to mahogany and will look good with a clear finish.  Under all those clamps are cherry veneer details that I added to the long sides.  Working with pallet wood adds a stage in the work that is not there with new wood.  To get the wood ready I had to do more planing and sanding than with new wood.  Also with reclaimed wood the first step is ' looking for hidden nasties ' .  This time there were no hidden nails or staples, one time there were hidden bits of staple in the material which wrecked some teeth on my fine toothed pull saw. 

  My work style in the shop has slowed down.  Most of my latest projects are hand finished and glue up rather than faster methods, nail, screws, pocket holes, etc and currently the pace and productivity suits me fine.

  cheers ianw
cheers, ian


 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment