Thursday, September 6, 2018

Jigs at Work

  I nearly always work alone in my shop and so jigs, clamps and props are an important part of my tool kit. This latest project showed how useful my shop aids are.

  

  My lap top computer had been getting slower and the keyboard has always been a pain and so once again my son-in-law came though with second hand tech, that is great for me. On my desk I have returned to a computer with a big box and a really good big screen and it connects to a pretty good sound system too. All I need to do is get used to 'Windows' again.

  Anyway I made the stand on which the screen sits in my shop.  Once again I turned to the scrap bin for the materials. The stand's height is designed for perfect viewing and it is wide enough for the mouse and keyboard to slide underneath to get out the way.  



  The is nothing special about this computer stand but it did show the use of two different shop jigs.


  Here I using my right angle jigs to hold the sides in place while the glue dries. If the wood had been thicker I could have used pocket holes and the KREG right angle clamp. I will using my KREG clamp on my next project. Since the wood was thin I used my jigs with clamps and left it overnight to dry.

  

  I cut four small brackets to support the side and put one long rib under the middle to keep the stand from sagging.

   The other jigs I used were  3/4 inch bench dogs.


To keep the dog from falling though
I cut two slots, and drilled a hole in the center.
Drilling the hole kept the dowel from splitting when I drove
in the #10 screw.


  The heads of the dogs splay out just enough to keep them from falling through, making then handy when combined with the dog holes drilled in the work surface.

  The last thing I wanted to share was from the last blog. When I cut the guide blocks I held them in my Bessey Vise.


  This little vise clamps onto my bench and is very useful for holding small objects.  
  
  I am continuing to discard un-necessary things from my working space and am happily working away on more small things.

  cheers,ianw
  



No comments:

Post a Comment