Friday, March 2, 2012

Coffee Machine Stand


This is a shelf unit that I built two years ago on which sits our coffee machine. The unit sits between the end of a our kitchen counter and the china cabinet, it is a prototype and so built from plywood and not very refined.  The unit was created in a hurry to fill a need with the intention of me making a nicer piece once I had time, and we decided exactly what we wanted.  Since it is a new house the layout of the kitchen/dining room needed time to solidify. We are not really house proud and so decorating takes place in stages, all subject to delay by nice weather, holidays, grand children etc. etc. etc. so we have been in our home for 3 1/2 years and things are still developing.  




  I did not rush to build a beautiful piece.  We finally decided that the shelf unit was too big.  This is a photo of the same unit cut down to size so that the china cabinet could be moved over.  The china cabinet had to move over to make room for: 




  my wife's Christmas present.  The clock had to hang there because it was the only place that it could be seen and was protected from drafts when the doors are opened, (that pendulum is amazingly sensitive and the breezes from the open door can stop the clock) and that I could drive a couple of long wood screws deeply into a stud to hang it.  I do not want the clock to fall down. (ever)


   So, I took the big shelf down to the shop and shazam, it was made into a little shelf.  It is still plywood and still looks pretty rough, but now we have decided on a size and soon I will make a nice piece of furniture;  a: to prove I can and,  b: to compliment all the other nice things in our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment