Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Bench Hook for Holding things in Place.

   Newman specials wood work posted a Youtube 

 shorthttps://www.youtube.com/@NewmanSpecialsWoodwork/shorts on a clever type of bench hook.  There are other short videos on the page but the bench hook is one that caught my eye.

  


  My square, at this time does not have a track in which to run but that may well be next.  I like the idea of this bench hook for planing and certain types of assembly.  I made my hook/square from elm as it is strong and I have a bunch of short boards handy.  The thick cross piece is pine instead of elm.  Elm as well is being strong is heavy and when the thick rail was elm the jig needed to be held down or is would tip off the bench.

  In making the jig I cut a dado for the right angle piece first.  I then used glue and dowels to hold it in place.  My rule with jigs and fixtures is no metal fasteners when they can come into contact with blades of any type.  The angled cross piece is held in place by pocket screws but they are on the back, well out of the way.

At this time I will just clamp the jig to the bench.  This will let me see if it works as well as I think it shall.

cheers ianw

No comments:

Post a Comment