Thursday, June 29, 2023

Live Edge Table

  At the beginning of June I started a couple of live edge projects. The bowl went pretty well and has found a home.  The other project was a much bigger slab, that I turned into a coffee table.


  The table is thirty inches round (more of less) and the emerald ash borer was under the bark the whole way round. The legs are elm, for contrast.  I also used elm because it has a history here similar to ash.  Dutch elm disease killed off thousands of elm trees in Ontario when I was a kid just like the ash borer situation now. 


  I sanded the end grain to 220 grit, sealed it and gave it five coats of water based poly.  Water based finishes are different.  You can see from this photo that it goes on milky, but once dry it is perfectly clear. The table gets delivered to its new home tomorrow.  I hope my cousin will be pleased.

  This time I did not turn the legs on my lathe.  I made them mostly with hand tools.  Next blog will be the process.  I like the results and it wasn't a big a task as you might think.  Once I made a jig for the drilling the legs holes the process was quite straight forward.


  cheers ianw






 

No comments:

Post a Comment