Saturday, July 16, 2022

Anniversary Gift

   It is our 20th wedding anniversary, who would have guessed it.  

   I've been away from the blog and the shop for a while.  We had family visiting at the beginning of the months and I've been struggling with back pain issues lately too.

  So last week I finally  got into the shop to make a couple of projects on the lathe. 



  Recently my wife bought some rovings ( fat unspun yarn) and needed some really big knitting needles and a crochet hook. These items are 25 mm or 1 inch in diameter. The crochet hook was easy,  I rough shaped it on the bandsaw and used sand paper to smooth and shape the final product.

  The needles were a little bigger project. I mounted the dowel in my lathe and used chisels to shape the pointed end.  I wanted  the point to be exactly centered, using the lathe made that possible. Also it was quick and easy to sand the needles to 400 grit before using paste wax for the finish.

  On the end of the needles are disks that came from a clearance bin in a craft supply store. Wood glue and one self taping screw secured the disk solidly.  I expect some very warm scarves this winter.

  This seems to be the season for yard work and motorcycle rides. I will get into the shop if it ever rains again.

cheers ianw
 



No comments:

Post a Comment