Saturday, June 11, 2022

Opa Fix?! & Why wood is Great

 Since the Grand children have been born I have been making things for them and repairing things too.  Many family visit began with me be handed something broken and someone saying "Opa fix". It was an order, a request and a question all rolled into one. As the kids have grown the requests continue. And I love it.

  My recent trip to visit netted me a chair and a hot pad that needed repair.

 


  Wood is great because I can repair, replace and re-glue that wooden chair and make it as good as new. 


  I cleaned the old glue off the tenons, cleaned out the mortises and glued it all back together.  It is easy to do, with the correct tools and work space. "Opa Fixed!"


  The hot pad is wine bottle corks glued to a piece of plywood. Not fancy but with sentimental attachments. The plywood broke, under mysterious circumstances.  I opted to glue the board together and then support it with another thin layer of plywood. Once again clamps come to the rescue, good glue and lots of clamps flattening things out and job done.

 

 LET GLUE DRY: my work table with corks being glued into place on the hot pad, held with gravity clamps. The white board is a piece of foam core that I put a one inch shoulder on to stop jig saw puzzles pieces  from sliding off. This provides space to layout puzzle pieces. The LET GLUE DRY box is filled with lead making it a gravity clamp and an admonition to leave well enough alone so that the glue can do its job.  I am historically impatient. 

  This morning I picked up a drawer from a side board needing repair  from a sister-in-law. On to the next job.



cheers ianw

it is peony season. gotta' love it.





 




No comments:

Post a Comment