Saturday, January 29, 2022

Woodcarving Safety Idea

  Yesterday my wife and I were in a 'big box store' looking for a replacement florescent lighting tube.  We didn't get one, it would seem the size and type we need are back ordered. (deep sigh). However I was able to buy two pairs of workshop gloves for $1.00 each. 


 Gloves like these are usually for painting, staining and mucking about in the garden. Why did I buy them, because I modify gloves like this as safety equipment when wood carving.


 You can see my left, or holding glove has leather guards on the thumb and fore finger, while the right thumb is protected.  The leather finger tips are something I picked up a few years ago but didn't like them initially. The guards seemed to be made for someone with cartoonishly  large hands.  After a while I thought of this solution.  I glue the guards onto gloves like this with rubber cement and it lasts for hours and hours of carving.

 The gloves this pair are replacing were worn out, the elastic in the cuffs was done and I had duct tape re-enforcing holes where knuckles were peaking out.  I also use these gloves when I have small pieces to form on the belt or disk sander and occasionally... oops, you know the drill if you use a bench top sander.  

  I find that this a a super cost effective way to make my workshop experience safer and less stressful.

cheers ianw
a pretty winter picture





 

No comments:

Post a Comment