Monday, June 21, 2021

The Home Workshop Bonus - working with Grand Kids

  When I ramble about I usually take a walking stick with me.  This past week our oldest Grand daughter was with us and she and I went for a walk in the forest. She found this stick and I work shopped it so we each have walking sticks. This was not a serious job but having a really sharp shop knife meant cleaning it up was easy. 



  After I cleaned the bark off the top and sanded the wood smooth and then gave it a good coat of paste wax. Then I dug into my cabinet of wonders and found a rubber foot for the walking stick. The cabinet of wonders is filled with, STUFF: leather, rubber feet, wheels and guitar stings, buttons and all sorts of craft/shop things.  Every house needs a cabinet of wonders. 
  
  The thing we made together this week was a Gecko House for Churro the Golden Crested Gecko.




  Clara designed the house.  I cut the pieces out on the mitre saw but she drilled all the holes using the drill press and sanded all the edges until they were Gecko friendly. Also, Clare nailed all the pieces together with almost no help from me.  She even learned about a nail set.


  We were not sure how or if the gecko would react to paint or finish so the project remains unfinished.  

  It was great fun working with my Grand daughter on a shop project. It was a good learning experience too, she had to design and measure out the project as well as learn to wait as the glue dried.  Most importantly she learned about sanding.  If a wood worker can accept sanding as a necessity, then all their project will look and feel nicer.

cheers ian w 


No comments:

Post a Comment