Wednesday, May 8, 2019

30-Minute Woodturning-book





  Last week I picked up a book at our local library. This is an excellent little book with fine photographs and clear instructions.  While it didn't really tell me much that was new it reminded me of a number of quick, easy and satisfying small projects. 

  

  This morning I dug out a piece of maple stair tread that has been kicking around my shop and made two honey dippers.


  DIppers are left unfinished since they are left in the honey for extended periods and any finish would soak off.  This close grained maple should work well for this.

  My lathe set up is on a rolling cabinet where all the chisels and accessories are stored under neath when not needed.  After working on my lathe for a couple of years I have finally got a set up that controls the fine dust. I'd not got around to dust control because I thought it had to be an involved and complex build. silly me. Keep it Simple, Ian.


  It is amazing how often there is a simple solution when we put our minds to it.  I found the vacuum attachment in a drawer and used my biggest Jorgensen  style hand screw clamp to hold it in place.  There wasn't enough vacuum power to collect the larger chips but it sucked up the fine dust from sanding perfectly.

view from the other side.

  Yesterday to make repairs to the grand daughter clock I bought for $15.00 from the Second Hand store last year.  I needed to repair door latches and close in the back of the clock, re fit the face, adjust the feet and re-attach the hands, all small fussy jobs.  I suspect that it was a kit that someone got most of the way through and then ran out of steam, or patience.



  I need to get a battery for the works and fiddle around to get the hands and the chimes working together.  My first attempt couldn't get the chimes and the hands to agree, but I didn't give it much attention because I knew that the case work needed repair and completion and the works would be stopped while that was done.

  For my friends that commented last week.  My Mom is getting better thanks.  Last week was tense, this week less so. Thanks for caring.

cheers ianw


Image result for magnolia

spring has sprung, finally.


  








No comments:

Post a Comment