Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Quiet Shop Time

  I have spent several happy and quiet hours in my shop the last two days. I am not really a wood carver but I do like to make craft projects that involve some basic shaping of the wood after it comes from the band saw or scroll saw.
1/4 inch oak six inch lizard
                           
  I've cut another lizard and a couple of fish to be painted. Since my grand daughter is an avid fisher person I decided to give the fish a more fish like shape after I cut them on the band saw. 


   You can see my latest lizard clamped into my version of the moxon vise. 





  You can see fish blanks  beside the heavy shaping tools. My initial shaping is done with a chisel, push knife and small plane.  Those tools knock off the edge of the spruce fish shapes. 


Fine shaping tools. 

  I have a drawer full of files of all shapes and sizes, as well as knives.

  These fish are being done with hand tools once the rough shaping is done by band saw. Occasionally I just get into a Zen frame of mind and feel like working wood and listening to music and pod casts.  I could wind out these fish in minutes with power sanders but I am just not in  hurry right now.

cheers ianw







No comments:

Post a Comment