Friday, September 21, 2012

Knife Kit

    As I travel around I often buy a knife as a souvenir,  I have several dozen folding knives from around the world made by, if not local blade makers then at least local companies.

   So by now I have Swedish knives from Sweden, a Spanish knife from Barcelona, not to mention American, Canadian and French knives.  A couple of years ago when I was in Berlin I bought three very, very nice chisels to round out my tool kit instead of a knife.  Needless to say I have several German blades that were bought at home, I think they make wonderful kitchen knives as well as tools.

  As I traveled around Koblenz today I was drawn to the window of Schumacher Messer on Scheiferei Stasse.  The window was filled with dozens of fine knives from many reputable makers, many with which I was familiar but one caught my eye.  

  I did not know the maker and to add to the interest is was a kit.  When I have not made something before I nearly always get a plan or pattern or buy a kit from which to learn a technique and perhaps copy later.

  This kit was especially interesting because it was for a folding knife, I love pocket knives, and seldom go out without at least one in my pocket and often one in my pants pocket and another in my coat pocket.  I actually have a Swiss Army knife from the factory in Switzerland. 

   Anyway this is a kit to make a lock back knife.



   I figured it would make an interesting letter opener, we don't get letters anymore, but we do get lots of bills in envelops and I guess we should open them.

FOOT NOTE:
  check out thetoolstore.ca power tool clearance section, bottom of page one is a really good little Makita router.  RPO900K

No comments:

Post a Comment