Friday, November 6, 2020

Let Glue Dry - homage to Laura Kampf

 



   I hate waiting. I especially hate waiting for glue to dry. Ms. Kampf has a visual she places in her videos to show her audience that the action has been interrupted for the glue to dry.  As I was rummaging around my shop yesterday I reminded myself I need a visual reminder too.  My block is 13 x 4 x 2.5 with two cutouts for my lead gravity clamps. Each  of those lead plates is over ten pounds and come in very handy many times.  I recommend every shop to have some weights like this.  Weights that are proper cubes would be better.

 

 In January 2015 I helped my friend make this entertainment centre for their basement.  Recently I made the small TV stand that fits on top of the entertainment centre.  It is great working with/for these friends, they provide an exact plan, with exact measurements every time. This way  building things for their house is successful and so is very satisfying.  Insist on an exact plan when building custom  pieces for people.  If you do not have precise measurements there is a really good chance that you wouldn't make what the other person thought they wanted. In the same vain, I do the initial sanding but leave fine sanding and finishing to the other folks, that way it they don't like the colour, it's their fault, not mine.

  I have begun working on Christmas/seasonal things.  I made repairs to our large snow man a while ago and have recently dragged my lathe out of the corner.


  I think this is a Cossack snow man. The grain of the wood is actually pretty striking.    (he clearly needs arms)


  I had a little piece of fire wood and made a little thing.  Small projects like this are great to practice finishes upon and are quick enough they can be completed in a quiet evening. A tea light candle will fit in this wee bowl or I guess it could catch some loose change.  It had no preordained use.  It was a shellac/bees wax finish experiment more than anything else.I like how quick and easy the finish turned out to be too.

  I have seen many snowmen , elves, Christmas trees etc, on the net.  I think I will spend some quality time with my lathe this season.

cheers, ianw





  

No comments:

Post a Comment