Wednesday, November 18, 2020

My Woodworking Shop Space

  Since I got my shop space cleaned up pretty well,  I thought I would share a view of my  space with my readers.  This shop is down stairs and shares space with the furnace and air filter/circulation system.

the space is 30 x 10 sort of.

 This rough drawing is not to scale, of course.  The following photographs are taken my me from the spot marked "me" on the floor plan.



  The is the long view from the back corner to the front.  On the left, a wood rack, sliding mitre saw, floor drill press and work bench. On the end wall I have two tool cabinets, over the work bench there are shelves for planes and chisels. In the far right is a shelving unit filled with finishing products and behind it another wood rack. On the immediate right is a KREG clamping table and a Jess Em router table. ( and a pillar and a furnace)
 

Behind my back in the corner is a band saw, shelving/storage as well as an old desk made into a sanding scroll saw work station. Also along that back wall is more storage .


  Turning to the right I have my joiner and table saw. Behind the table saw are double doors that enable me to rip long boards without have to move the saw around much.  My dust collector is through the wall in our pantry cellar.


 Under the stairs is my mobile lathe and another band saw.  Behind the lathe is stuff relating to tiling, grout, boxes of left over tiles etc.

  Needless to say all the wall space is filled with shelves containing wood, small tools and all the everyday stuff that one needs to make a shop work.

  I am very lucky to have this much space and this many tools.  The abundance of tools does reflect my decade of working in the woodworking tool business.  An ordinary shop probably wouldn't have so much stuff.  Less stuff and more room might well be the better way to go.

  This wood shop journey began about 20 years ago when I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea and got a CPAP machine to help me sleep.  It took two nights to get used to the CPAP machine. I began to sleep properly, was no longer falling asleep in the chair after supper and suddenly had four or five extra hours a day    to do things.  I bought a scroll saw, long worn out, and never looked back on my woodworking journey.

  Now it is make Christmas gifts season. 

Stay safe, care for others and make some saw dust.

cheers, ianw




No comments:

Post a Comment