Sunday, November 1, 2020

Welcome to November

   To begin the blog I have two videos to share. 

   I have followed Rob Cosman for years. He and I worked booths at wood working shows a few years ago and Rob is one of the best know and respected wood workers in Canada.  His blog 'best woodworking tips and tricks 2020' is great, he speaks from long experience.

 Laura Kampf is a wood worker from Koln Germany who seems to be able to turn her hand to both wood and metal work.  Her video showing a new way to glue up a table top is great.  I am planning to copy her example on a smaller scale soon.

 What have I been doing? Making an over engineered  pencil sharpener.


  I embedded  a trim plane into a piece of oak and then made the oak board into the top of a box


  using a wooden hinge.


  This pencil sharpener can plane a wood pencil to a very, very sharp point, or a long point, or what ever you decide and the box underneath catches the shavings. It is like sharpening with a knife or chisel but without the mess.   There is nothing special about the project other than the wooden hinge.  I got the idea from an ad that showed up in my Facebook account awhile ago. Mine is not hand finished brass but....it will work as well.  If I made another one it would be easier and nicer, but not brass.

 The other project is a beginning on Christmas gifts.


 I sewed a 16 page book with  hand painted cover from nixed media paper.  A grand daughter will be able to draw, colour or even paint their own little book. I try and keep my grand children supplied with decent paper for their art.  It is always good to recycle office paper but it is best used for shopping lists not art.

cheers ianw







  







No comments:

Post a Comment