Thursday, November 12, 2020

Small Project - rehabilitate a plane?

 I just finished a larger project. (is a surprise so I am not talking about it here) It was one that was totally new to me and one for which I had to do some design and experimentation. So now I am looking for a couple of small things before I drive into another large project.  I will probably do some more wood turning as a distraction too. 



 In a back cupboard I have a few things that have been the in back of my mind. I have knife blades that needs handles and two plane bodies that need blades.  5 or 6 of the knife blades are Swedish Mora blades of various styles, one of my plans is to make my own Morakniv  Eldris. I think an Eldris will be a great pencil sharpening knife and will fit well into a tool belt for use as a marking knife. 

  For this plane body I had a blade in my collected parts and pieces  that was slightly too wide.  The other body is for a 5/8 rabbet plane, I have no idea where to get a blade for it.  I may have to cut a chisel apart, or....?


  I  clamped the blade in my work station and carefully filed the sides down until it fit into the plane body.




  Most of the files that I have in my shop are either from my Grandfather/father's shops or something that I bought cheap at a garage sale once upon a time. Between these three I filed the plane blade so that it fits snugly in the body.  I may have to track down a chip breaker for this blade and make a hard wood wedge as well.  I am going to fiddle with the wedge before I go looking for parts, unless I can get a chip breaker cheap this may end up as the body of a large sanding block.  I don't remember where the plane body came from and suspect it cost $0.00.

 
  Currently the weather is unseasonable and so full on shop attendance has been somewhat delayed, but it is coming soon.

cheers ianw  

   


No comments:

Post a Comment