Sunday, January 31, 2021

Two Projects

  I have been working in my shop but not posting this week.  I changed my camera with the hope of not only taking better pictures but of making it easier for me to get the photos into the blog. Everything has a learning curve.  The curve is steeper when there are actually technical problems.  The port on my camera in which I plugged the connecting cable does not work. That was the last thing that I imaged was the problem. After consultation with my friend Clive, the camera guy, problem resolved.  Think it will take better pictures, I will get so moving the pictures around will become easier.

   Small Bench

  This is the top of a small bench 10 x 16 inches.  The bulk of the top is a drawer front reclaimed from the side of the road.  I trimmed the piece with elm. I did the glue up in two stages, sides and ends. (mostly because I am not in any hurry. Less so now that there are further restrictions on causal travel.)


  Using poplar again with a 1 inch tenon on each leg.  I rounded but did not fully round the legs on the lathe, it gives a semi hand shaped look.  Sort of tapered, sort of eight sided.


  The 12 Degree Jig again came into use.  I love it when a tool naturally fits into the work shop.


  This time I cut four blocks and glued them onto the bottom of the bench, after drilling the 12 Degree holes.  Once the blocks were firmly glued I stuck the legs into place and....LET GLUE DRY.  Four diver's weights held everything in place. (I think the diver's weights are 6 and 8 pounds.)


  Box

    The next project developed because I looked under my bathroom sink. Unless you want to find yourself a job that needs to be done on you knees, don't look under the sink.  Anyway having made that error I dragged all the stuff out that had accumulated under the sink in the last 12 years.  There were many, many bottles and jars that had a little bit of something in them.  You know, hand soap, shaving soap, mouth wash, shampoo bottles that weren't totally  empty and were awaiting the time when they were poured into one bottle. That time came, possibly this is a natural 12 year cycle. Anyway, once I amalgamated all the potions together I went from having many bottles, to just a few.

    This pine box was also under the sink, filled with....you know.  I decided that though this was a personal project, from years ago it was time to rebuild it.  This box was too large, the wood too thick and therefore too heavy.   


   I took it apart and then used my Dado Stack to reduce the thickness of the long sides.


   Setting up a dado stack is something of a pain....but nothing works as well for ploughing wide grooves and removing material.  I seldom use my Dado blades but every shop should have a set, even if you only use them once a year. 

I have had four Irwin Quick clamps forever, 
that type of one hand clamp makes shop life better. 

  Ultimately I cut about three inches off the length of the box, used the dado blades to reduce the thickness of the sides by 2/3 and am gluing the ends inside rather than out board as the last time.  This means that I have  storage box for under the sink that is not too awkward to retrieve with one hand, even when filled with bottles and jars.

  All that remains is sanding and finishing.  

  Cheers ianw

a post card sized painting.
the other thing I'm doing with my 
indoor time this winter.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment