Friday, January 22, 2021

Finishing the Three Legged Stool

 


  The stool is 10 inches across and 12 inches tall.  The seat is ash, the legs are poplar and the wedges are cedar, This turned out to be a good little project and with careful set up not a difficult one after all.
   

  The internet told me that the typical angle for the leg holes was 12 degrees.  I decided to make a proper jig to hold the work while drilling.  The last time I did this I just wedged the work piece and ended up with one leg hole misaligned, this time perfect.  The jig will now hang on the wall with all the others, after it gets a coat of bright paint.

  

  In action the only trick was to solidly clamp the work piece to the jig, to the drill press table. I think it is past time to address the challenges of clamping to the drill press table.  I've got the time, I want to make more stools and tables, so...get on with it.

  

  After the holes were drilled and the legs attached I needed to glue a couple of pieces of bark back on. As well as make repairs to my mitre saw jig. And assemble the paper towel holder for our laundry room.  All those things are being held together with glue.  Glue works great when I give it time to set.  When I put up the sign, I remember. Visual aids are important teaching tools for some people. (me)

   A three legged stool was on my "make it"  list, as well as bellows, wooden nut cracker, spinning wheel among other things.  It feels good to check off something on the list.

  cheers, ianw

 
the other thing I have been doing with my time, thinking spring







No comments:

Post a Comment