Monday, January 11, 2021

January Project - storage cart

   Before I get to the storage cart I want to share a new cutting board.  Before I get to the cutting board,  I want to share the top  of our kitchen island.  I wanted to take the photo of my latest cutting board on the island, first I have to move a bunch of  things. The top of the island is Brazilian marble, the base of the island is one of my shop projects. I built the wheeled bottom of this island so long ago I can't find the related blog posts. 






  Everything that lives on top of the island is from our creative minds.  Eva made a set of three stained glass candle holders and the various wood things are from my shop, over the years. 


  There is nothing special about this cutting/serving board other than it is walnut and maple.  I'd never worked with walnut, now I understand why it is so popular.  I also cut out four spreading knives from poplar wood. Things like spreading knives can be churned out easily using the band saw and a drum sander. 


  I was asked by my brother to make a storage rack for the basement.  I like it when there is a need for my wood work. He has an area in the basement that is filled with beverage cases and recycle bins that needed a more efficient system. I made the rack and put casters on one end so that it can be manoeuvred around easily.
 


It is difficult to see but I notched the legs into the shelve frame making it more sturdy and taking up less space.


  The interesting aspect of this project for me is that it was made almost entirely from left over materials. The shelf frame is made from the laminated elm boards that I first made for the wheel barrow repair.  I had planed and glued the board together before I decided to go a different direction with the repair and then didn't need them.  I did keep these boards on  my lumber rack, You can never tell when you will need 5 foot 3 x 3's.  It was simple to rip the boards to size on my table saw.  I have only ever had a job site saw in my shop and it has served me well for the last 20 years. hint: good, sharp blades make all the difference.


The uprights are from a long ago failed set of production items.  My Grandson was little in the video and now he is big, so that tells you how long the up rights have sat in my shop.    Again cutting them to size was a breeze on the table saw.  I know that plunge cut circular saws have their  fans, but I like what I know, I guess. 


  Other than gobbling up a bunch of 1 1/2 inch wood screws and some glue the project used two casters from a parts bin. For a couple of seasons I brought home wheeled office chairs that were being discarded and salvaged the casters. I am at the point that I no longer gather up materials without a plan, mostly because now have lots of materials, not so many plans.

  As we are evermore encouraged to stay home I am looking for things to do. I bet you are too.

cheers, ianw


dance, even if your feel are cold!









No comments:

Post a Comment