Monday, October 18, 2021

Table Top, and Kid Projects.

  This was a grand kid dominated weekend, a great return to our normal life.  My Grand Daughter worked with Oma and created this lovely stained glass panel as a gift for her teacher. Once the panel was cooled it needed a stand. Clara and I worked in the shop to make the wooden stand.  She cut the wood using a back saw and mitre box.  I did use the table saw to cut the slots into which the glass fit to help out.

Stained Glass Apple 

  My next project is a coffee table using a large live edge slab of soft maple.  This slab was cut using a chain saw and so needed plenty of sanding. For a task like this I have a heavy duty diesel powered disk sander.  I inherited a 7 inch sander from my father's shop. My father had a "go big or go home" attitude towards tools.  Generally I use my 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a sanding disk, but this job needed a 7 inch 40 grit disk to flatten the chain saw ridges. I think the table top will be very striking when finished.  It has some spots that will need epoxy to fill and I am going to consult with a friend who is expert in using epoxy before I take this on.  I would hate to mess it up and then have to grind out the mistakes.  



Live Edge Table Top


  This weekend also saw my Grandson make his first lathe project.  There are few tools as much fun as a wood lathe. Kieran designed this light house, complete with a little house for the keeper and made it on my mini lathe.


Light House lathe project

  The next time they are here I'll have wood mounted on face plates so the kids can make bowls.

  Our lives have returned almost to normal after so very long.  We have been blessed, no one in our extended family fell ill and very few people had their work disrupted. I hope that is the situation for you'all too.

cheers ianw 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment