Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Picture Frames and a "tankard".

   Since the grand kids were here I have been working on a couple of custom picture frames.  For these small projects I opted to work only with hand tools, for a couple of reasons.  One, small bits of wood are easy enough to work without all the power of mitre saws and routers, also small pieces and power tools together sort of scare me a bit. The other reason is hand tools make almost no noise and so puttering around in the shop in the evening, listening to music is good for my soul.

  Making the frames with hand tools is slow, but satisfying.  Over the years I have collected a shop full of fine tools, good saws, knives, planes and jigs. I cut the frame material in a mitre box, trimmed the ends on a 45 degree angle shooting board.  Then I hand cut the rabbet for the glass and cleaned it up with my rabbet plane. Once everything was cut and sanded I glued the ends together using my lead weight gravity clamps and my KREG Klamp table.




  It is interesting re-learning a method of work. For the first frame I fumbled around looking for measuring tools and angle gauges and deciding which saw etc. etc. etc.  On the second frame I knew what I wanted to do and in which order.  Now I need to make a better mitre box before I do the next set of frames.




  I spent many hours in my head designing the other project.  I got the idea that I wanted to make a rustic tankard from which to drink my favourite cool beverages.  A wooden tankard sounds good, but I opted to ask my Sister-in-Law to throw a pottery body upon which I would attach some sort of carved, rustic wooden handle.   

The pottery body is very fine.  

How to attach the handle? 

I didn't want to glue the handle to the pottery, too permanent, ugly and too difficult to modify should I have a better idea down the road.

The current result:  





The deer antler handle is comfortable and feels nice in my hand.  Antler is very easy to work on with sand paper by the way.  It is glued to a thin strip of wood, which is glued to a layer of leather and the lashing is waxed hemp cord.  The handle is secure. but not as aesthetically pleasing as I want.  Also, I want to see how well the waxed hemp holds up in  real life.  I have another body so I can try another version without having to take this one apart.  

It is getting cold and wet, the season for painting and wood working is upon us. 

cheers ianw




No comments:

Post a Comment