Friday, October 29, 2021

Road Find and Jig

 I have recently made a couple of picture frames.  I have the good fortune to live with a Glass Artist that can cut the glass for the frames, I've had no luck cutting my own glass. What was then needed was clear glass to put in the frames, preferable cheap glass.  As I drove home the other day,  what was at the end of someones drive way but....free glass.


  Once it is taken apart I will have to wash the glass before it can be used. Eva can cut the terrarium  into small pieces and hey presto, custom frames from re-used materials. 

  The other thing I though I would  share is a jig that has been used quite a bit lately.  I made this jig a while (years) ago to help me accurately make 45 degree angle cuts and to trim the pieces using a plane.


  I use the jig to hold the wood while hand cutting the small pieces or to hold the material while shooting in with my low angle smoothing plane. When shooting I set the jig on a piece of counter top, the plastic/acrylic top is smooth and slippery so the plane slides along very nicely. It's maybe time to make a new cutting  jig this one is getting pretty cut up.  

   I have found that fine mitres,  as on picture frames require some fine tuning with plane
 and/or sand paper regardless of where the cuts are made.  I have a pretty good sliding mitre saw and its cuts still need fine tuning where the joint is going to be highly visible.  If you go onto the inter-web there are many many videos on how to make jigs for all type of saws. Invest the time a a good jig and mitred corners should cause you no worries.

  cheers ianw

  I love fall colours.

worthy of a Group of Seven painting. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment