Saturday, August 21, 2021

Updates from the Shop

   First, the effort to repair the plastic chairs was not successful.  I tried the glues I know and...wood reinforcement too with no luck. The glues will not stick to the plastic and screwing the plastic to the wood means there are screw/bolt heads that can't be inset enough to keep them out of the way.  

  Second, the turtle is actually done.


  Once the outside plants come in for the winter something will find a home on the back of a turtle.

  A tip for dealing with round projects like this turtle.



  I screwed a small piece of 2x4 to the bottom as a cleat that was held by my bench vise. I was able to power plane, sand, and paint the top while it was held firmly, with the clamping out of the way.

  

  I asked to borrowed a punch from a friends shop recently. The next time I saw him he presented me with my own set of 12 punches, 1/4 to 1 inch.  It is great to have generous friends.  I threw away the plastic packaging and made this stand for my new punches.  I finished it with my Home Blend Finish, 1 part varnish, 1 part linseed oil, 1 part turpentine. The finish is slow to dry in this high heat and humidity but is good.

  We are in another heat wave, and so things are slow in the shop, but nice for motorcycling.

cheers ianw



my bike.








No comments:

Post a Comment