Saturday, September 12, 2020

First Lathe Project for Clara

 




  This was a big weekend for my Grand Daughter Clara and I.  This weekend she turned her first lathe project.  She wanted a small bowl for gerbil food and instead of the square open box she imagined making I introduced her to the lathe.

  This is a small bowl turned using a face plate.  Naturally I had to set things up but once I showed her the basics of rounding off the blank she got right into it.  At first I showed her how to hold the roughing gouge and supported her hands but...pretty soon I was only there for encouragement and normal support.  She learned how to sand the bowl through three ever finer grits as well.  

  These were spontaneous projects but next time I will take her through the whole set up process.  She wants to make a bigger bowl for herself next time.


  Our next project was this 'natural wood' neck lace holder.  We rummaged around in the wood pile until we found this rough piece.  I showed her how to use a block plane to smooth out the splinters on the wood and then she drilled the holes for the dowels on the drill press

  What can I say, I am so excited when our Grand Kids are interested in making things and especially in the shop.  Clara also crochets slippers and clothes for her stuffed animals. 

  It appears that I haven't kept up with the blogs.  Well, I have been working in the shop but always on routine/maintenance things for the last while.  I am planning in the next blog to talk about pochade boxes, building: what and why.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment