Sunday, September 20, 2020

Pochade Box - Medium

The next box I made came a couple of years later, when I had a better idea of what I wanted/needed.


13 x 11 x 3 1/4 mid sized box.

As you can see the medium box is much smaller,  and so lighter.  I build the medium box with a removable lid rather than hinges.


  The inside of the lid has a 1/4 -20 t-nut set into the middle.  I made the box from door skin and 1/2 inch pine.  It is simple butt joints with glue and nail construction, so it is very light but still tough.  I choose not to use fancy joinery since it is a tool box, not a jewel box.


  The 1/4 -20 t-nut means that I can attach the lid to any camera tripod and  work either sitting or standing.  I tape or clamp paper or sketch books to the lid and work out of the bottom section of the box.


  The bottom  a section holds water bottles, paint, pencils and brushes when water colour painting,   The whole thing will carry enough paper towels and 8 x 10 drawing papers for several projects at a time.  The contents are easily converted for pencil crayon, pastel etc.  I have found this is a good sized box for most situations. 


 The lid latches on two sides and to keep the top from sliding around I installed alignment pins,
on the one corner there are two and the other only one.  This way the lid goes on the same way each time and the clasps fit perfect.

  On both boxes the handle is braided  rope, it was handy, cheap and comfortable to use.  I also like it because if gets out of the way when I am stowing the box in the trunk, or what ever.



  I guess I should share a couple of my art works (?) since I am talking about art boxes.


10 x 16 inch water colour




5 x 7 water based marker and pencil crayon

   I have drawn dozens of cats, a birds and gerbils for grand children too.


  Next time the last, smallest and latest box.








 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment