Friday, August 21, 2020

Eva's Keepsake Box


about 5 x 5 inches square

 In spite of Google's efforts to make this blog software totally user unfriendly I soldier onward.  The long running keepsake box is now finished.  I was going to line the inside but the oak bottom has such a cool grain I am leaving it visible.



   The back shows the very fussy hinges that I installed.  I needed a fancy style but they were a bit tricky to attach to the box.  I needed to drill very fine holes for the brass (ish) brads and ultimately  both the hinges and latch are attached as much by super glue as by the brads. Driving tiny, soft metal, brads into hard maple is not easy for big fingers.
 
  I am pleased with the final result and will work on the jig that cut the corners to make a box like this again.




  May favourite project in the shop this week was:


  These are two dividers for Clara's new desk drawers.  These are my favourite because, she measured, sawed, sanded, glued and nailed them all by herself.  All I did was provide the materials, tools and some supervision. I believe that being a 'maker' is something that is learned early and will then last a lifetime.  Clara is already a good baker and is becoming skilled  at crochet, she will soon be making heirloom items.

  Good for her.



   



 

No comments:

Post a Comment