Monday, August 3, 2020

Chair Repair

 My parents owed a cottage, my Father had a friend that made rough lumber patio furniture.  He made them a very robust rocking chair, that sat out for years at the cottage and has sat out for over ten years at our house.


The tenon on the left arm has rotted away.  To replace it would involve much disassembly of the chair.  Instead I used my brace and one inch bit to drill out the rotten tenon and drill down into the supporting piece.



The brace cleared out the dead wood and drilled into solid wood easily.  While I love power tools I find I use the brace when I want a large hole and speed control.

The next step was to create a replacement tenon in the shape of a long plug. I turned it easily on my lathe. 

6 1/2 inches long, 1 1/2 inches diameter, it can be left rough.


  I smeared the peg with glue and drove it into the hole in the arm.  To add to water resistance I filled the cracks around the plug too.


  Maybe it is time to give the old chair a serious soak in deck sealer.  I don't remember that last time it got any love from me so it deserves some this summer. By the way, it is very comfortable to sit. 


FOOT NOTE:
the Google people, if indeed they are people have messed with the format of the blog tools.
 ( for no good reason, as is always the case) so this was slow to do and I don't know what the result is going to look like. 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment