Thursday, June 4, 2020

Saw Clean Up

  While cleaning up I found a repair project that had been ignored for a while.


saw plate soaking in vinegar

  The plate was greasy and had several paint splatters on it.  I suspect the saw had spent its life knocking around in a rough tool kit.

the plate cleaned up nicely

dirty old handle

real nice clean handle

Looking good, back saw
  This saw has no name that I could find and the largest rivet was missing. However, it is sharp and cuts just fine.  I added it to my regular saw till and have used it recently.

  A couple of lids.  I made a plain one for a box. Then I got crazy and am making a sort of veneered lid too.  However the veneer is 1/16th inch thick, it has  texture as well as contrasting colour.



  Repairing the saw was not high art, just fiddly. It took a while to hand sand the handle before refinishing. Cleaning up the saw plate was messy but rewarding. Shaping the lid, well that is just a hole in which time can be thrown. I am retired, I got time.

cheers, ianw




No comments:

Post a Comment