Thursday, June 18, 2020

A stress reliving project.

  I have a good friend that loves antique shopping.  He is a collector of local memorabilia,  t.v. stuff and many other things.  One day I went 'antiquing' with him.  Mostly to look at old tools and drink coffee.  I talked myself into buying a firewood saw.


  Why? it looked experienced and I thought I may one day restore it.  The blade was rusty and cleaning the blade was as far as I got on the restore. (2 ish years ago) In the process of shop reorganization I found a nice place to hang and ignore it.  

  We built a raised garden bed in the back yard recently and I tried to use this saw to cut the rough lumber we used. The forward arm split when I tightened the blade. I decided  to actually  restore the saw, rather then throw it out.  As you can see I replaced the split limb with a piece of Osage Orange, hard wood, but nice to work with power tools. It didn't go smoothly, there was more rust and figuring out how to clamp the blade for sharpening was a bit off putting but......

  Once I replaced the broken bit the only thing left was to sharpen the blade.


  To sharpen the blade I cut a slot in a 2 x 4 and clamped it to my bench.  Once it was securely clamped to the bench I used a small file to more or less copy the angle filed previously.  I was not hoping for or expecting perfection but....once sharpened the saw cut much better than it had, before the arm cracked.

  Then....I totally lost my mind and rummaged in my drawers, no one was looking and found.

Saw set by Stanley.
 This tool was a gift a few while ago and I didn't really expect to use it.  I took and carefully set the teeth on the firewood saw and WOW, does it tear its way through dry fire wood now.  Probably the kerf is wider that is absolutely necessary but for the first time, I love the results.

  It has been an emotionally tough few weeks and at a couple of points this job didn't reduce stress but at least it redirected it.  Having a wonderful spouse, super grandchildren  and a nice workshop makes life's journeys  easier to face.

cheers, ianw





No comments:

Post a Comment