Friday, October 18, 2019

Picture Frame and Flower Box

  My eight year old Grand daughter loves to crafts and make pictures for Eva and I.  We have a couple of her paintings in our bed room and recently we were given two more pictures to put up.  All pictures look better mounted and framed and so I retired to my work shop and make our drawings a frame.





  I glued the two pictures to new watercolour paper and to a section of foam core.  The frame is made from thinly sliced 2x4 spruce.  I used my thin strip ripping jig on my table saw to make the the pieces.  Often cheap wood has character that makes it unique and interesting, as in this case.
thin strip jig, Sept 12, 2013
(all my jigs are red or orange )

Next I sanded  the wood, then stained it and glued it to the foam core backed paper. I decided that I would not make the typical frame and am pretty pleased with the result.  


  I am polishing clear guards from glass grinders for my wife's stained class group.  It is a slow job using a soft polishing wheel, white compound and lots of patience. Again it is because I hate throwing things away when they can be repaired.(with some effort).  The easy solution is to buy new guards and throw the pitted ones away, making for more plastic trash.  I'm planning to invest the time to renew the life of the safety guards.


  A few years ago I made a fairly large planter box for my Mother's patio. The size was based on a foam shipping box which made for a water tight, fairly light inner liner to hold the soil and water.  After all these years sitting in outside in the sun and winter snow the box was looking pretty shabby.  Remarkably the foam liner box is still in good shape and usable. 

  Originally the cedar box was varnished with a couple of coats of outdoor varnish and then ignored for years. This summer its age was obvious and that most of the varnish had worn away.


  First the  box was sanded vigorously to remove what remained of the varnish.  Since unprotected cedar turns greyish over time I opted to stain the box 'walnut' before varnishing it this time.  Cedar has a good track record of weather resistance, this planter box was still perfectly solid, just tired looking.   I'll put a little time into this project over the weekend and take it home to my Mom early in the week.  That's what sons do.

 cheers ianw





No comments:

Post a Comment