Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Fall Fair Season

  Next weekend is the Rockton World's Fair in Rockton Ontario.  Eva and I have been involved as exhibitors and volunteers for at least twenty years. Eva bakes up a storm and usually wins the big trophies each year while I quietly enter bread baking, carving or art depending on how the spirit moves me.

  We took the weekend away and then have returned to the full fall schedule.  In my shop today I was busy matting and framing painting for my grand kids and my self.  I know you don't need a wood working shop to cut matts and frame paintings but...you do need work space and a few tools.  I couldn't work without my big carpenters square or my utility knife.

  Another item that I have used for a few days lately is my slow cooker pot.  I could be using it to keep my hide glue at the correct temperature, but in this case I have been using it to make apple butter.


  Last Friday I peeled and began cooking what began as 12 quarts of apples in the slow cooker.  I cooked the apples for sixteen hours and then we left for the weekend early Saturday.  Today, Tuesday I cooked the apples for another ten hours and got three bottles of apple butter, a little over two quarts. (one is already gone to a good home). I like making things in the shop that I can use and I also like making things that I can eat.  These apples were free for the picking and so....we have a special treat for no cash outlay.  ( I've always said that if you are willing to spent time, you can save money).

  The other big project today was bread.


 This year I have entered three bread categories: White, 60% Whole Wheat and Multigrain. This is the finished multigrain right out of the oven, it is whole wheat, white, rye and five grain cereal and smells great. The loaf of while was done by lunch time and is already in the deep freeze.

  The last loaf is my 60% whole wheat,


 it is proofing while I type.  I realize  that this isn't wood working, but...it is making and if you are a maker in wood, why not expand your horizons?  There is a world of information, instruction and help out there for you  while you learn to make new things.

  If you don't want to make for your local fair, volunteer, the volunteers are the folks that make sure these events continue year after year. 

  See you at the fair,

  cheers, Ianw


Image result for fair photos

  

  



No comments:

Post a Comment