Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Opps, and spoons

  Going back to check I discovered that the link I posted for the Facebook account for the Woodstock Woodworking Show did not work.  Sorry.  I am not a sophisticated computer person, I'm not really that sophisticated a person in any regard.

  Anyway, the show was quite good this year in my opinion.  I like it when there are new and different things to see.  Wood finishes featured in three different booths and I will look to purchase these new low VOC finishes in the future as my supplies dwindle. I met a fellow making carbide insert turning tools locally and that will be where I go for my next set of tools, or replacement inserts.

 What I spent money on this year was two Kutzall burrs and a rasp. 


 Taper Burr
   I am hoping that an arrangement can be reached with my sponsor, Thetoolstore.ca to become a Canadian dealer.  The products I bought remove lots of wood and clean up really well with a wire brush.

  The first project I took on once I got back into my shop on Monday was a spoon and spatula in a very stringy wood.  A while ago I picked up some  branches from the road side, cut them to spoon length and left them to sit in a corner awaiting further inspiration.  I don't know what species of wood I am working with, I just know that it is very stringy. It should be strong, but it is difficult to sand it smooth.

  Next I split a piece wood with my hatchet and mallet and then began roughing the spoon/spatula shape with the hatchet and draw knives. 




 I prefer to split the log and then smooth it with various blades. Splitting the log means that I can work following the grain and get a stronger handle.  I do resort to the band saw once I get the basic shape and am confident in the grain direction.


These pieces will be a 'matching' salad set made from the split wood. I think the spalting will give the two pieces an interesting character.

  As well I have another flower box to refinish and am trying to polish the fine scratches out of a clear safety guard on my wife's glass grinding table.  I find satisfaction in jobs that need doing as much as creating original objects.

  cheers, ianw



  




No comments:

Post a Comment