Monday, January 10, 2022

Scarf Rack, experimental stained oak project

 


Hidden in the back of our downstairs closet is a rack/holder just I made for my winter scarves. The project is incidental I wanted to try a new finish.

I laid out a small rack I planed to attach in the closet with screws,


  To make cutting the openings easier I drilled holes before cutting the material away with my band saw.  The top photo shows the colour of the re-claimed wood.


  This is the oak once it was sanded and assembled. The wood was oak trim from an old house, the best guess was the trim was put in the house in the 1930's. The latest home owner was renewing the place totally and was giving away the trim.


  This is actually why the project was done. I wanted to see how easy to apply and what results wood come from using water based stain.


  I am very please with the resulting colour.  I mixed the staining powder in water, slopped it on vigorously.  It spread evenly and dried quickly.  After two costs of shellac with  a light sanding in between coats the result is good. A further bonus is Homestead House is a local company, I've used their Hemp Oil finish for a long time on my cutting boards.

  I look forward to using this stain again and trying other colours in the future. 

cheers, ianw



 



No comments:

Post a Comment